(per group of 6) we would need to double this recipe!
1 tbsp oil
½ large onion chopped
1 medium carrot, grated
500g beef mince
½ a 400g can tomatoes
50ml beef stock
fresh thyme leaves from 1 sprig
2 tbsp tomato purée
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 190C.
1. Peel and chop onion finely.
2. Heat oil in frypan on medium heat. Put in onion and stir until it goes clear.
3. Grate carrots and add to pan with a tablespoon of butter. Stir for 1 minute.
4. Remove veg and leave on a plate.
5. Put mince in the pan and stir and break up until all browned.
6. Stir in the veg, tomatoes, stock, tomato puree, herbs and salt and pepper.
7. Cover and simmer until liquid is reduced. Stir often. Add salt and pepper.
1. Peel and cut the potatoes and parsnips into chunks.
2. Boil the potatoes and parsnips in water until soft. Drain and leave in the saucepan.
3. Put pumpkin in the microwave and cook on high for 4 mins. If soft remove the skin. If not cook for 3 more mins and remove skin.
4. Add the pumpkin to the saucepan. Mash with the butter and milk, salt and pepper.
1. Spoon the meat into a baking dish.
2. Put mash on top of the meat so the meat is covered. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
3. Place under the grill until golden.
sliced strawberries / bananas
Crush the meringues into middle sized lumps. Whip the cream. Stir the cream bananas and strawberries into the meringue pieces.
Serve into bowls for each person.